Tannehill Furnace, 12632 Confederate Parkway, Tannehill Historical St, Bucksville, Tuscaloosa County, AL
Photo Caption Pages
Tannehill Historical St, Bucksville, AL
Find maps of Bucksville, AL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AL-122
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N185).
Significance: The Tannehill Furnaces, the best example of a pre-Civil War and Civil War ironmaking plant in the District, contains evidence of slavery as an industrial labor force. This site represents ironmaking and ore mining methods used from colonial times to the Civil War. Tannehill's preserved buildings and equipment, opened for public interpretation, illustrate the technological history of these industries and the changing methods of providing power and moving materials. The site also provides evidence of the extensive use of slaves on a southern industrial site.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW TO FURNACE COMPLEX FROM DAM SITE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
2. GENERAL VIEW OF FURNACE COMPLEX AND RACEWAY, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
3. SOUTH SIDE AND EAST (FRONT) OF FURNACE COMPLEX, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
4. EAST (FRONT) OF FURNACES, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
5. INTERIOR VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) SINGLE FURNACE.
6. INTERIOR VIEW OF DOUBLE FURNACES, LOOKING NORTHEAST.
7. GENERAL VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) OF DOUBLE FURNACE FROM ACROSS THE CREEK, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
8. EAST (FRONT) OF DOUBLE FURNACES LOOKING WEST-SOUTHWEST.
9. EAST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE OF DOUBLE FURNACE AND NORTH SIDE OF SINGLE FURNACE, SOUTHWEST.
10. NORTH END OF DOUBLE FURNACE AND CAST AND ENGINE SHED, WITH BLOWER HOUSE TO THE EAST AND CHARGING BRIDGE AND TRESSLE TO THE WEST, LOOKING SOUTH-SOUTHEAST.
11. EAST AND NORTH SIDES OF BLOWER HOUSE SHOWING POWER WHEELS AND RACEWAY, LOOKING SOUTH.
12. WEST (FRONT) OF FURNACE COMPLEX, INCLUDING STACKS, WITH CHARGING BRIDGE AND TRESSLE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
13. SOUTH END OF FURNACE WITH CAST AND ENGINE SHED IN FOREGROUND, LOOKING NORTH-NORTHEAST.
Back to Bucksville, Alabama