Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Alaska

>

near Toklat River

>

Pearson Cabin, near Toklat River, McKinley Station, AK



See 9 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1669
Front Of Cabin, Looking West (4' X 5' Negative)

HB1670
Front Corner Of Cabin, Looking Southwest (5' X 7' Negative)

HB1671
Front Of Cabin, Looking Northwest (5' X 7' Negative)

HB1672
Interior Of Cabin, Looking West (4' X 5' Negative)

HB1673
Cache, Looking Northeast, Showing Relationship To Cabin (5' X 7' Neg.)

HB1674
Cache, Looking Southeast (4' X 5' Negative)

HB1675
Dog Houses, Looking South, Showing Relationship To Cabin (5' X 7' Neg.)

HB1676
Dog Houses (5' X 7' Negative)

HB1677
Dog Houses, With Measuring Stick (5' X 7' Negative)


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
near Toklat River, AK

Find maps of near Toklat River, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-33
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-10).
Building/structure dates: 1927 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1951 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1976 subsequent work
Significance: Built by Ranger Grant Pearson, who became the park superintendent in 1949, and Ranger Lee Swesher, this is the oldest (and possibly the only extant) patrol cabin built totally by park rangers. Budget constraints required them to "whip-saw lumber from logs with a reconditioned crosscut saw. / During the summers of 1927 and 1928, park rangers Fritz Nyberg, Lee Swisher, and Grant Pearson constructed an 11 x 13 shelter cabin near the Toklat River crossing. With $15 for window glass, hinges, and nails, they completed the structure, the oldest along the park road. The cabin was built from local spruce, axed and whipsawed to fit, and chinked with moss and dirt. Eight dog kennels and a cache, 10 feet above ground, add to this typical Alaska shelter cabin site. Ranger Pearson, a well-known guide turned ranger, capped his career at McKinley Park by becoming superintendent.

Subjects
Cabins


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FRONT OF CABIN, LOOKING WEST (4' x 5' negative)
2. FRONT CORNER OF CABIN, LOOKING SOUTHWEST (5' x 7' negative)
3. FRONT OF CABIN, LOOKING NORTHWEST (5' x 7' negative)
4. INTERIOR OF CABIN, LOOKING WEST (4' x 5' negative)
5. CACHE, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING RELATIONSHIP TO CABIN (5' x 7' neg.)
6. CACHE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST (4' x 5' negative)
7. DOG HOUSES, LOOKING SOUTH, SHOWING RELATIONSHIP TO CABIN (5' x 7' neg.)
8. DOG HOUSES (5' x 7' negative)
9. DOG HOUSES, WITH MEASURING STICK (5' x 7' negative)


Back to near Toklat River, Alaska