Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Alaska

>

Sitka

>

Russian-American Company, Building No. 29, 202-206 Lincoln Street, Sitka, Sitka Borough, AK



See 10 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB7581

HB7582


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
202-206 Lincoln Street, Sitka, AK

Find maps of Sitka, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-99
National Register Number: 87001282
Significance: Building No. 29 is one of only four buildings of Russian construction known to survive in the Western Hemisphere. It was built in the Russian American capitol of New Archangel (now Sitka), the center of the colony's civil, administrative and Russian Orthodox faith in Alaska. Building No. 29 was built in 1852 by Russian American Company employees in order to provide living accommodations for Company employees. Its construction was typical for the Russian period with a two story hewn log structure on a stone foundation, a high attic space, a high pitched gable roof with tiled covering, and a two story entrance gallery, or seni, on the east side of the main unit. The main part of the building, or srub, was a nearly perfect square with the sides measuring approximately four sazhens (28 feet) in length (6.98 feet per sazhen). The side gallery, which had a shed roof, had the same depth as that of the building's main unit. Throughout the Russian Colonial period, the building was owned by the Russian American Company. In 1868, shortly after the United States purchased Alaska, the building was sold to William Dodge and has changed hands many times since. Structural changes have taken place both in its historic period and in recent years. Substantial changes took place during the mid-1880s. Photographs from 1887 show that a two-story addition was constructed on the east side of the gallery. The gable roof of the original building was extended horizontally to cover the gallery and the addition. Four dormers were evenly spaced across the roof front. Building No. 29 was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987 because of its significance as a rare example of Russian colonial architecture and its historic log craftsmanship.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH FRONT AND WEST SIDE
2. EAST SIDE AND NORTH FRONT


Back to Sitka, Alaska