Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Alaska

>

Saint Paul vicinity

>

Webster House, Northeast Point Road, Saint Paul, Aleutians West Census Area, AK



B&W Photos

HB12978

HB12979

HB12980


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Northeast Point Road, Saint Paul vicinity, AK

Find maps of Saint Paul, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-204
Significance: In 1870, the Alaska Commercial Company was given an exclusive 20-year lease by the United States government to manage the seal harvest on the Pribilof Islands. The original Webster House was built as a residence for the overseer of the company's operations at the Northeast Point Rookery on Saint Paul Island. The current Webster House, perhaps incorporating fabric from the original building, is a small, one-story, wood-frame structure. It was renovated in the early 1990s for use as a camp house by the Aleut Community of Saint Paul Island.

Subjects
Houses
Domestic Life


Related Names
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Righi, Andrea K., Field Team
Lockett, Dana, Field Team
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
View looking east, with foundations of bunkhouse in foreground
View looking northwest
South (front) elevation


Back to Saint Paul vicinity, Alaska