Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Alaska

>

Kenai

>

Holy Assumption Russian Orthodox Church, Chapel of St. Nicholas, Mission & Overland Streets, Kenai, Kenai Peninsula Borough, AK



B&W Photos

HB1765
West And South Sides

HB1766
East And North Sides

HB1767
Interior, East Wall


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Mission & Overland Streets, Kenai, AK

Find maps of Kenai, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-39-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-12).
Building/structure dates: 1906 initial construction
Significance: Unusual among Alaska Russian Orthodox chapels, the Chapel of St. Nicholas is larger and more elaborate than most shrines, with its tall pyramidal roof and cross gable, yet smaller and plainer than most chapels, with its unfinished log interior. The chapel was constructed in 1906 to mark the grave of Abbot Nicholas, Kenai's first resident priest. / Located on the bluff overlooking the confluence of the Kenai River and the Cook Inlet, the Chapel of St. Nicholas was built on the site of the first Kenai church and covers the graves of Iguman (or, Abbot) Nikolai, the first missionary in the Kenai area, his assistant and reader Makarii Ivanov and another monk whose name is not recorded. Consecrated on December 6, 1906, the chapel was never completed and has only been used for memorial services and, weather permitting, a molbeiben, or thanksgiving service, on December 19, St. Nicholas Day. Built of hand-hewn logs, its weather grey appearance contrasts dramatically with the yellows, blues and whites of the brightly painted cupola, elongated onion dome and traditional three-bar cross.

Subjects
Chapels


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. WEST AND SOUTH SIDES
2. EAST AND NORTH SIDES
3. INTERIOR, EAST WALL


Back to Kenai, Alaska