Ladd Field, Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK
See 12 maps of this location
Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, AK
Find maps of Fairbanks, AK
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AK-36
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
National Register Number: 85002730
Significance: Construction of the Fairbanks Cold Weather Experimental Air Base was begun in the Fall of 1938. Only a railroad spur, grading and workers camp had been completed when the airfield was named Ladd Field on December 1, 1939 in honor of Arthur K. Ladd, Army Air Corps, who had died in an aircraft accident in 1935. During World War II Ladd Field served as the main Alaska hub in the transfer of lend-lease American aircraft to Russia by the Air Transport Command. The field continued during the war to serve as a cold weather testing station and repair depot. Because of the subarctic weather many of the structures at Ladd Field were of permanent construction. Specific designs were employed rather than standardized plans. Today these permanent buildings are to be found in the "horseshoe" area on the north side of the runways. Following World War II Ladd Field was transferred from the Air Transport Command to the Eleventh Air Force. On January 1, 1961 the base was transferred to the Army and renamed Fort Jonathan M. Wainwright.
Ladd, Arthur K.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fairbanks, Alaska