Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Alaska

>

Fairbanks

>

Ladd Field, Birchwood Hangar, Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK



See 12 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB5292

HB5293

HB5294

HB5295

HB5296


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, AK

Find maps of Fairbanks, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-36-B
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
National Register Number: 85002730
Significance: Named after first hangar constructed at Birchwood Airfield near Anchorage. These large wood frame hangars were built at a number of Alaska bases but few survive. Ladd Field was the site for the turnover of lend-lease aircraft to the Russians.

Subjects
Hangars


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF EAST DOORS AND NORTH LEAN TO
2. VIEW OF WEST DOORS AND SOUTH LEAN TO
3. DETAIL OF HANGAR DOORS
4. INTERIOR
5. INTERIOR


Back to Fairbanks, Alaska