Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Alaska

>

Eagle vicinity

>

James Taylor Cabins, Yukon River, Opposite 4th of July Creek, Eagle, Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, AK



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Opposite 4th of July Creek, Eagle vicinity, AK

Find maps of Eagle, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-41
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-11).
Building/structure dates: 1924 initial construction
Significance: James Taylor, a miner who had been in the country since the early days of the twentieth century, settled on the right bank of the Yukon when he had ceased mining and turned to trapping in the mid 1920s. Although the main cabin no longer stands, the remaining cabins show the careful construction and ingenuity for which Taylor was known. The shed, clearly added to, was used for storage, and the shop served as his first residence on the site and later as his blacksmith shop. The dog barn, divided into different stalls by vertical poles, and the dog corrals, which gave the dogs access to water, were unusual.

Subjects
Log Cabins
Fur Trade


Related Names
Taylor, James M.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Eagle vicinity, Alaska