Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Alaska

>

Circle vicinity

>

Frank Slaven Roadhouse, Yukon River at Coal Creek, Circle, Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, AK



See 13 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB3110
View Of East Elevation

HB3111
View Of Northeast Corner, Looking Southwest

HB3112
View Of South Elevation

HB3113
Detail View Of Cornice

HB3114
Interior View, Second Floor, Looking South

HB3115
Interior View, Second Floor, Looking Northwest

HB3116
Interior View, Second Floor, North Room, Looking Southeast

HB3117
Interior View, Ground Floor, Looking Northwest


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
Yukon River at Coal Creek, Circle vicinity, AK

Find maps of Circle, AK


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AK-42
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-6).
Building/structure dates: 1930 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1935 subsequent work
Significance: The Frank Slaven Roadhouse was built in about 1930 to take advantage of traffic along the Yukon River, as well as up Coal Creek, where there was an active mining district in the 1930s. Like many miners in the area, Frank Slaven had staked claims on Coal Creek as early as 1905, and continued working them and prospecting for over thirty years. / ...The original log structure was built primarily by Sandy Johnson, a Finnish immigrant, who hewed the underside of each log to fit snugly on top of the one underneath. The frame section was added shortly after construction, probably reusing drop siding from Fr. Egbert. The purlins extend the full length of the structure. The corrugated metal roof was added in 1935.

Related Names
Johnson, Sandy


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
VIEW OF NORTH ELEVATION
2. VIEW OF EAST ELEVATION
3. VIEW OF NORTHEAST CORNER, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
4. VIEW OF SOUTH ELEVATION
5. DETAIL VIEW OF CORNICE
6. INTERIOR VIEW, SECOND FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTH
7. INTERIOR VIEW, SECOND FLOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST
8. INTERIOR VIEW, SECOND FLOOR, NORTH ROOM, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
9. INTERIOR VIEW, GROUND FLOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST
VIEW OF NORTHEAST CORNER, LOOKING SOUTHWEST


Back to Circle vicinity, Alaska