Full Title: Map of the Town of Boston 1676; Drawn by Samuel C. Clough in Accordance with Information Compiled from the Records ...; Date Depicted on Image: 1676; Created 1920c;
Description: This map by Samuel Chester Clough (1873-1949) shows property owners and land lots in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1676. An inscription on the map reads, "Drawn by Samuel C. Clough in accordance with information compiled from the records of the Colony, Town, Registry of Deeds, Suffolk Probate, and Supreme Court; Book of Possessions, Winthrop Journal, Lechford Note Book, Aspinwall's Notes and City Surveys."
Compared to Clough's map depicting Boston in 1648, this map shows more buildings and streets, indicative of the rise in population. New streets had rather unusual names that indicated their purpose: "Street from the Sea to the Common," "Highway to Windmill," "Long Street to Burying Place," and "Street from Mill Bridge to Winnisimmet Ferry."
Compiled from the same resources as the Map of the Town of Boston in 1648, the 1676 map shows a much different Boston. More of the coastline is developed both for personal land and industry, recognizing the importance of the sea in the expansion of Boston. Property, especially in the area that became downtown Boston, is divided among more landowners. Other landmarks depicted on the 1676 map convey public places required by the town's growing population--a "New Burying Ground" near the Common, a Third Meeting House, and a Latin School.
A close review of these maps illustrates connections between seventeenth century property owners and current street and place names in Boston. Property belonging to William Greenough, including Greenough's Wharf, is now Greenough Lane in Boston's North End. Likewise, John Hull owned land that is now Hull Street and the area known now as Leverett Circle near North Station, belonged to John Leverett.
Clough was a draftsman for Boston Edison Company and worked for the Boston Navy Yard in Charlestown. This map forms a part of the Samuel Chester Clough Research Materials toward a Topographical History of Boston, a manuscript collection at the Massachusetts Historical Society.
Additional Image Notes: The original of this map is held at the MHS where it was cut into six sheets for storage. These individual sheets were digitized by the MHS and later digitally assembled by HMW into a single image building upon the digital compositing work originally started by the MHS.; MHS Digital Image: 3850