Research Prints are color prints fitted to 11" x 17" paper ideal for research and educational use, but not suitable for framing as center seams and imperfections will not be removed. Orders for less than 15 research prints will be mailed folded in an envelope. Larger orders will be shipped flat via UPS.
Full Title: Map of the Town of Boston 1648; Drawn by Samuel C. Clough in Accordance with Information Compiled with the Records of the Colony ...; Date Depicted on Image: 1648; Created 1919;
Completed on 10 April 1919, this map by Samuel Chester Clough (1873-1949) shows property owners and land lots in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1648. This map informs his later maps of 1676 and 1798, as well as his atlas. An inscription on this map lists Clough's sources: "Drawn by Samuel C. Clough in accordance with information complied from the records of the Colony, Town, Registry of Deeds, Suffolk Probate, and Supreme Court; Book of Possessions, Winthrop Journal, Lechford Note Book, Aspinwall's Notes and City Surveys."
The map shows a densely populated Shawmut peninsula, especially the area around present-day State Street, Government Center, and Faneuil Hall. The hills, fields, and marshland all but disappear over the next century as the land was divided, sold, made, and developed. The map hints that the North End was practically an island, with a tidal creek connecting the Mill Cove to the Great Cove.
Clough also created a map of Boston in 1676, an atlas of Boston neighborhoods in 1798, and a series of plate maps for 1798 all of which are held at the MHS.
Clough was a draftsman for Boston Edison Company and worked for the Boston Navy Yard in Charlestown.
Additional Image Notes: The original of this map is held at the MHS where it was cut into six sheets for storage. These individual sheets were digitized by the MHS and later digitally assembled by HMW into a single image building upon the digital compositing work originally started by the MHS.
Notes about the two versions: Version 1 of the composited image is described as Digitally Restored due to HMW's digital replacement of the borders which are missing on the original physical map in the MHS archive and the subsequent Version 2 composite. Though most of HMW's fine-art reproduction customers will be interested in Version 1 for aesthetic reasons, it should be noted that Version 2 is a more faithful reproduction of the map within MHS archive (missing borders and all) and can be also ordered as a reproduction.; MHS Digital Image: 5104
In accordance with our licensing arrangements with the MHS, the attribution text 'Courtesy of the Massachusetts Historical Society' has been embedded non-obtrusively on all reproductions of this image. Before placing an order for a printed reproduction, please use the Zoomify viewer to ensure the image is suitable for your needs.